Looking for a Michigan romantic getaway for a honeymoon, anniversary or “just because”? Then look no further than for some of the best vacations and couples getaway spots around!
There are so many different faces of Michigan that there's something there for every taste and preference. Whether you think romance revolves around natural beauty or man-made excitement, the state can provide it.
Looking for a little inspiration? Below is a list of ten
things that you and your sweetheart can do as a couple that can make
memories for years to come.
1. Try walking the beach of Petoskey. The name comes from the son of a French nobleman and fur trader and an Ottawa Indian Princess. Legend has it that at his birth along the banks of the Kalamazoo River, his father held him up and a ray from the rising sun glimmered against his face. "Potesgay" means Sunbeams of Promise and just like Petosgay, who later changed his name to match the misspelling of the city named after him, the city of Petoskey holds sunbeams of promise for a unforgettable weekend.
2. Stop at Windmill Island. The city of Holland holds another “town” within it, a miniature village created by early settlers. The village looks similar to the early Netherlands. The windmill is 240 years old and is an island in the center of 36 acres of gardens, canals and dikes. For the most memorable vacation, go in the spring when over 150,000 tulips are in bloom.
3. Detroit is Motown. If fell in love dancing to an old hit like, “Ooo Baby Baby” by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles or just love the music of the 60’s and the 70’s then a stop at the Motown Historical Museum is imperative. If your song is a Barbara Streisand tune, stop at the Cactus club where she got her first break. Couples vacation packages are available year round.
4. Rent a yacht, houseboat, cabin cruiser or sailboat for a week. Sail blissfully into the sun as you sit on the deck sipping cooling lemonade or the beverage of choice. There are so many lakes and rivers around the state; you can find a boat near any town or attraction you desire.
5. Roll the dice and listen, stay at a five star hotel and listen to the stars. Casinos are everywhere throughout the state. Just a few of the over 27 casinos are the Soaring Eagle, Mt. Pleasant; Four Winds, New Buffalo; Greektown and others in Detroit; and the Odowa Casino in Odowa.
6. Visit the art galleries of St.Joseph during the Venetian Festival or attend the Magical Ice Carving Festival. Voted the most romantic city in Michigan by the “Detroit Free Press”, St. Joseph has a lot to offer the anyone looking for a little romance.
7. View Mackinac Island. Cross the Mackinac Bridge and enter a different century. Take along good walking shoes or ride a horse drawn carriage because you have to park your car. “Horseless Carriages”, banned in 1896 and again in the 1920’s still have no place on the streets of Mackinac.
Native Americans believed it was a sacred place and once the home of the Great Spirit Gitchie Manitou. You’ll find the slower place and the romantic carriage ride creates the ambiance for a great romantic vacation destination...and is a honeymoon favorite! (Click here for more honeymoon ideas!)
8. Stop at Saugatuck, the art coast of Michigan. Those that love art, in any form, from the theater to the easel, find something to love in Saugatuck. Stir the emotions with theater, dance, music and color for romance and passion. It is a great couples getaway!
9.Take a tour of the colors of fall. Throughout the state, autumn is a time for color and beauty. Take a fall foliage tour and warm up beside the fire at one of many cozy bed and breakfasts with great romantic vacation packages.
10.Ski down the slopes and cuddle up next to the fire at the end of the day. The winter wonderland of ski resorts offers chalets and hotels with deluxe accommodations. If you love to be active, you are covered for every season.